Brytt in the NICU

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

November 25th

...actually it started November 24th, but didn't realize it at the time. I woke up early on the 24th...it was the day before Thanksgiving. I was soaking wet. I thought I had peed the bed, but everytime I walked I would get a little wetter. When the OB office opened a made an early morning appointment. When I got to his office I was spotting and cramping. They took a urine sample, told me that I had a urinary tract infection, handed me some depends and told me to get on the meds ASAP. I was still 'peeing' when I walked so went home immediately. That night I started cramping really bad in my back. I paged the OB and he told me that I just had a really bad UTI that was also in my kidneys. That it was going to get worse before it got better. I need to stop being a baby and if I didn't feel better on Friday to call him.

So....I tried my best to ignore the pain and went to bed. The next morning, November 25th, was Thanksgiving so we drove 1.5 hours to spend the day with Robins family at his parents house. I was no longer 'peeing' when I walked but was still cramping. I spent a big part of the day under a blanket with a heating pad. That night after everyone had left except us, Robins parents and his aunt and uncle, I was using the bathroom and her little foot came out. I yelled for Robin and he came into the bathroom and made me lay on the floor while his mom called 911. While waiting for the ambulance Robin 'delivered' the other foot (I am sure this is TMI).

The ambulance finally got there and we were on our way to the ER. The EMT's were able to deliver the rest of her body but my cervix had clamped around her neck so they couldn't do any more until we got to the hospital. When we got there we were met by everyone but the janitor (as far as I know the janitor wasn't there anyways...) They immediately intubated her, stabilized her and got her to the NICU.

Officially our lives had all changed in a way that none of us ever imagined...

No comments: