Brytt in the NICU

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

22 Weeks 1 Pound 3 Ounces 11.5 Inches

...barely 1/2 way through the pregnancy. 22 weeks. 4 months & 2 weeks. 144 days. 1 pound, 3 ounces. 19 ounces. 550 grams. Later I was told not to look at the weight so much as the gestation. One is better off with a small baby, born later in gestation then a large baby born earlier. 22 weeks was unheard of.

She was born at 10:07 pm. I don't know what time they took her to the NICU, I was moved to a different room in the ER to be monitored pretty soon after she was born. Sometime after midnight they moved me to a room up in labor and delivery. On the way I got to stop by the NICU and see her for the first time. It is so hard to describe and for people to comprehend. It is an experience I wish on nobody, not even my worst enemy.

She was so tiny. The amount of equipment and people around her was astounding. Her little eyes were still fused shut. She practically had no ears. Because she had no 'fat' she was bright red...this was because there was no fat between her skin and her organs, so we could 'see through' her skin. It was beyond overwhelming.

No comments: